Younis catches up on sleep during India-England thriller


“I slept early, so I couldn’t watch the England-India match,” Younis said on Monday, when asked about the Group B match in Bangalore. “I missed it, but scores show that even… 400 runs is gettable in the sub-continent.”

England, chasing 339 to win, finished on 338 for eight in a sell-out match featuring 676 runs, with centuries from Indian maestro Sachin Tendulkar and England captain Andrew Strauss.

Younis said he was happy to take on the responsibility of being a senior player in the team, who have won both of their opening fixtures.

“As a senior player, I am happy to put my contribution in the team’s totals,” said Younis, who scored 50 against Kenya and 72 against Sri Lanka. “It is a good feeling and the win against Sri Lanka has put us closer to the quarter-finals.”

Younis, who normally bats at number three, said he had no problems batting one place lower.

“My job is that whenever there is need, I can play at three and now if the team needs me at four then I am ready to bat there as well and had good partnerships with Misbah-ul-Haq,” said Younis.

Younis and Misbah added 108 for the fourth wicket to help Pakistan post a challenging 277-7 against Sri Lanka, before restricting their opponents to 266-9.

Younis said Pakistan could go all the way to the World Cup final.

“Every match is important for us whether it’s against Canada, Australia or New Zealand so our effort is to win every match and reach the final and win it, but the first goal is the quarter-final,” said Younis.

Pakistan’s next match is against Canada on Thursday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

daily check

NewsDaily

BOOK